Cheap Car Rental Porto airport
Car rental Porto Airport
Are you travelling to Porto for business, a city trip or a round trip through Portugal? Renting a car at Porto airport is always a good idea. HolidayCars can provide you with plenty of good options at this international airport. With 29 HolidayCars associated rental car companies we can always supply you with a car that suits your needs.
We’ve lined up some information and tips for you regarding Portugal, Porto and of course Porto airport.
The airport first opened its gates in 1945 under the name Pedras Rubras Airport (meaning ‘red rocks’). In 1990 the airport was renamed after former prime minister Sá Carneiro, who died in an airplane crash in 1980.
Officially called Francisco Sá Carneiro airport, Porto airport (OPO) is located about 15 kilometers northwest from Porto's center. Porto airport has a single-terminal facility serviced by a number of main airlines covering domestic and international destinations. It is currently Portugal
's third busiest airport in terms of aircraft operations and passenger numbers, right after Lissabon Portela Airport and Faro Airport. The usual check-in time for flights across European countries is 60 minutes. For domestic flights it is only 30 minutes. Porto airport is the base for TAP Portugal, the major Portugal's national airline, and is also served by Air Berlin, EasyJet, Lufthansa, Ryanair and Transavia.
Car hire Porto
So why would you consider car hire in Porto? We have made a list of fun activities:
- Ir à Praia! Or: Go to the beach! Porto is located on the coastline of Portugal, but the best beaches are found outside of the city. Your rental car will take you there in no time and will most likely be more comfortable than public transit.
- Porto is an ideal location to start a round trip from. It’s no secret that Portugal is one of Europe’s most beautiful countries, for nature as well culture. Hire a car and go on to explore all of its beauty.
- Visit Gaia. Porto is famous for their port houses, but most of them are actually located in Gaia! The city is located on the other side of the Douro river and is starting to grow bigger than Porto itself. Your rental car will take you there in no-time. You can also consider to stay in Gaia itself, as it’s quite a bit cheaper than Porto. Gaia is located a little further away from the airport, but with the modern infrastructure you will reach Gaia within no time after picking up your rental car at Porto Airport.
Rent a car at Porto airport
being one of the top tourist destinations, car rental at Porto airport is much favored among tourists. There are several companies that provide car rental at Porto airport, including A.A. Castanheira, Budget, Auto Jardim, Avis, Europcar, Hertz, National Car Rental and Sixt. You can find their counters on the ground floor of the Arrivals Hall. In order to avoid paying too much with limited options of the available rental cars, it's wise to book car rental at Porto airport prior to your trip. Please note that by the time of pick-up, the staff at the car rental counter may try to sell you extra insurances for your rental car. If you rent a car at Porto airport with NoRisk Warranty from holidaycars.com, then you don't need any extra insurance, as it already covers your Personal Liability as well as damage to windows, tires and chassis.
The airport is located near the atlantic ocean, which is clearly visible from the terminal.
The airport is momentarily the second busiest in Portugal speaking in terms of aircraft movements. Lisbon Airport
is Portugal’s busiest airport and Faro Airport
is third on this list.
Facilities at Porto airport (OPO) include:
- The general information counter is located in the Departures Hall.
- The Lost & Found counter is in the Arrivals Hall.
- There are three lounges.
- Conference room is available upon reservation request.
- Disabled facilities include adapted elevators and toilets.
- There are banks, ATMs, a money exchange office and a post office.
- A pharmacy is located in the Departures Hall.
- Restaurants, cafes and a Duty Free shop are throughout the terminal.
- You can use free power & Internet at the Porto airport or paid Wi-Fi.
Car rental at HolidayCars
Why would you choose HolidayCars for your rental car? First of all HolidayCars offers the best rates, as they are always compared real time. Besides the most competitive prices, HolidayCars gives you the option to compare multiple suppliers and pick on based on your own preferences.
Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport
IATA airport code: OPO
ICAO airport code: LPPR